Thursday, November 29, 2007

Short Sleeves Insights- Where Are My Keys?

by Hal Manogue

"Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy; accomplish the great task by a series of small acts. The Master never reaches for great; thus she achieves greatness. When she runs into difficulty, she stops and gives herself to it. She doesn't cling to her own comfort; thus problems are not problems for her." Lao-tzu, the Chinese recluse, wrote those words over 2500 years ago. It's interesting that I somehow thought, the ancient people, were so far behind our modern day thoughts. Now I realize it's the other way around. The more I remember, the more I understand that we have left the door to knowing locked, by distorted truths and beliefs. Our minds have been placed in a box of fear, and the lid is covered with misconceptions.
Lao-tzu's words ring out like a stadium filled with high school cheerleaders. I make the simple things in life difficult. I act by doing, pushing, forcing. I work in stress, anger and judgement. I try to cut corners, in order to achieve a great task. I reach for greatness, when in fact, I don't feel great. I think of the few as not enough, and the many as no where near enough. I confront the difficult by running away from it. I look at myself and see disappointment, loneliness, and depression. The door to knowing is locked and I have lost the keys.
Lao-tzu uses the word Master to signify oneness within ourselves. All the acts he describes are thoughts I live daily. It is how I think that creates the problems or lack of problems. I have the keys to unlock the door of knowing, I just need to reach inside of me and use them. I have feelings and emotions that will show me the way to act, if I allow them the freedom to work. I have ancient wisdom within me that will teach me, If I allow it to speak. I have unlimited love surrounding me, all I need to do is to let it in by my positive thoughts. I have a center of Divine Oneness that is waiting for me to remember it, by accepting and touching it with my thoughts. These keys unlock my door and I begin to live in harmony.
No major surgeries or drama to deal with, just an awakening within myself, that changes my beliefs. I begin to experience those beliefs and then express them. I become a symbol of peace. The symbol of abundance. The symbol of love. Quite a key chain, don't you think?

No comments: