Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Say No to Guarantees

by Honman Chan

Jimmy received a world atlas from someone. He was extremely happy. He read the map day and night, forgetting about mealtimes. He came across the map of Egypt and began to think about all the wonderful things in that country – the pyramid, the Sphinx, River Nile, the Pharaohs and many more mysterious things. ‘I must visit Egypt one day when I grow up’, he thought to himself…..
Just when he was so engrossed in his map-reading, his father appeared suddenly from behind and shouted, ‘What are you doing here? Have you forgotten about dinnertime?’ Jimmy answered, ‘I’m reading a map.’ His father got very angry and shouted once again, ‘Everyone is waiting for you at the table. I want you to put aside your map now!’ Jimmy was still unable to leave his favorite book, ‘I’m looking at the map of Egypt.’ His daddy pulled him swiftly to the dining table and with a stern look on his face, he told him this, ‘I can give you this guarantee: you will never in your lifetime be able to go to a place that far! Eat your dinner now!’ Jimmy was stunned. He looked at his father with this thought in his heart, ‘How can Daddy give me such a strange guarantee? Is it really true, that I will never go to Egypt in my lifetime?’
20 years later, Jimmy went to Egypt. His friends asked him, ‘Why do you want to go to Egypt?’ He answered, ‘Because I don’t want my life to be guaranteed.’ One day, he sat on a step in front of the pyramid and wrote a postcard to his father, ‘Dearest Daddy, I’m now sitting here in front of the pyramid in Egypt, writing you this. Remember when I was a small boy, you gave me the guarantee that I will never be able to go to a place this far. I am sitting here right now writing a postcard to you!’
Dreams play an extremely important part in our lives. Only dreams can give us warmth and hope and only dreams can keep us in full imagination and creativity. Keeping your dreams means keeping an advancing posture in front of all difficult situations.
A French philosopher once said, ‘The heart contains some kind of truths that even the logical mind cannot understand.’ Don’t listen to words that will hinder you weaving beautiful dreams. Move forward bravely with your dreams. Don’t be afraid of your limited capability. Don’t be blinded. Most people think that they are not geniuses. But that does not mean that we don’t have the capability to constantly challenge the different kinds of giftedness. Think about what you want to do, what can make you feel happy without getting tired of it and what are you best at. Use these conclusions in the pursuit of your dreams and one day, your dreams will come true.

No comments: