Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Short Sleeves Insights-Soul Climbing Anyone?

by Hal Manogue

"The whole scattered world of lower things is gathered up to oneness when the soul climbs up to that life in which there are no opposites."
Meister Eckhart was born in 1260 in the small village of Tambach, in the German region of Thuringia. He was a Dominican Theologian, teaching in Paris and then becoming Provincial of Saxony in 1303. He was accused of heresy by Pope John XXII for his teaching and writings. His work is now viewed as connected thought, that includes thoughts from both Eastern and Western religions and beliefs. Meister was a philosopher, who is just now becoming known in our world. And for good reason, his work is worth reading.
I think I can relate to his statement above, where my souls climbs up to a place where I see no opposites. I just see oneness. A good example is obvious now, with the world coming together to mourn the tragedy in Virginia. It shows we can all drop our petty differences and be who we are. I am like you, and it takes contrast for us to realize that fact. It takes pain and suffering to get to that place of comfort, where we are united in spirit. If I can do it once, I can do it again and again, without the pain and suffering, if I choose to believe in no opposites. That's an interesting thought in a world that seems to be filled with duality. Filled with death, destruction and fear. For some, things aren't getting better, they are getting worse. So you see, our thoughts create the opposites, my last statement confirms that truth. My beliefs will be what I experience.
Now, I am experiencing unity through the contrast of death. I feel love for all life and want nothing but this feeling. How do I continue to feel this way without the agony of loss? It all starts with me. I must see myself as love first. I must face the daily contrast with love, not fear, always reaching for a better thought, to lift my soul above the opposites. Certainly moving from hatred to anger is moving in the right direction. Moving from anger to avoidance is another step. Avoidance to acceptance, acceptance to understanding, understanding to love. It doesn't happen overnight but if I am aware of my feelings in each situation, I can move my thoughts and express my emotions in a non-judgemental way. I don't have to be hot or cold, right or wrong, good or bad, unless I think that way.
I will always experience contrast. It is a tool for growth. We all see the seeds planted by recent events. I will grow from them. I will learn to be who I am, a spirit having a human experience. The question is, when will I allow myself to be that spirit? When will I pull myself away from opposites and unite with myself? I think now, is my time. I think now, is All There Is.

No comments: