Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Short Sleeves Insights - No Blame - No Shame!

by Hal Manogue

"We are disturbed, not by things, but by the way we perceive them." Epictetus, lived in the first century, was a slave and as you can see from this message, a philosopher as well. There are several notable quotes that have been passed down from his followers. He felt that we should be the masters of our own lives, he taught us to have control over our thoughts. When I was preparing to write this article this morning, I had a problem connecting to my blog page. It became an annoyance and I felt myself becoming irritated with the site, instead of finding a solution for the situation.
I was disturbed, but the blog was the same blog page it was yesterday, it was my thoughts that created my feelings and I transferred them to the blog by being annoyed.The blog remain as it was, a tool of my perception. I was really disturbed that I could not find a quick solution, so I stopped and thought about what I was doing. In a matter of minutes I solved the problem, by focusing on it, and using my guidance system; thoughts, feelings and emotions. Now, here I am writing and vibrating with the feeling of well being. That is a small example of how I can treat things around me, by using my internal system to experience events. I can make things as hard or as easy as I choose, based on my perceptions.
There are countless events that I face on a daily basis that require my focus. They require my complete attention and love. Short temper, irrational behavior and angry reactions, only bring more contrast to the situation. I fall deeper in the hole I created, and forget how to get out of it. By stopping and letting go of the negativity, I can regroup within myself. It takes practice and patience, but it works.
The most important ingredient in this change of thinking is to not blame myself for falling into the self made trap of over active emotions. Epictetus reminds me of this in these words:
"The uneducated person blames others The partially-educated person blames himself The educated person blames no one." And so it is, step by step, event by event, I build a story about myself. I begin to live the story and let my feelings and emotions guide my perceptions. One day it becomes the myth, I know and remember. It becomes what I am. A Spirit having a human experience, in order to grow and become grander version of myself in the web of the Divine Matrix of All There Is, Love.

No comments: