Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The School Of Illusion?

by Hal Manogue

"No one lives his life. Disguised since childhood, haphazardly assembled from voices and fears and little pleasure, we come of age as masks. Our true face never speaks. Somewhere there must be storehouses where all these lives are laid away like suits of armor or old carriages or clothing hanging limply on the wall. Maybe all paths lead there to the repository of unlived things."
Ranier Maria Rilke, the turn of the 20th century European poet, knew that the life he experienced was only part of his story. His intuitive knowledge lead him down the path of discovering other parts of himself.
Mystics through the ages have told us that the world we experience daily, is an illusion. It is only a veil that we use to cover our real identity. If you ask anyone who faces the day without eating or working or not paying bills, because they think it is an illusion, I think they would change their opinion in a heartbeat. Those things seem very real when they are happening.
If it is an illusion, then it would be part of a grander illusion, since our scientists are telling us we are holograms, whole parts of another whole. Well, that may be true. But why the illusion? What are we hiding?
AS Rilke pointed out the masks we use and the illusion we create, is done for a reason. I know I am learning something about myself, from this school of whatever. By creating the dualities I experience, the pain and suffering I feel and the death I fear, I am learning that there is another part of me somewhere, waiting for me to graduate.
The beauty of this school is I can learn the way I choose. I can skip lessons, start over, flunk out, and jump forward without reprisal, unless I punish myself. I can graduate at any time and unite with another part of my identity. It is my creation to learn, experience and express who I am. No one else can do it for me. I am the student and the teacher.
As someone once said, "Teachers make all other professions possible." By teaching myself the lessons, I am growing in belief and creativity. Call it what you want, but it is expansion of consciousness and that is my diploma. It is a reunion with my divinity in the grand illusion of reality, that keeps me coming back to learn more.
I believe and experience in my own ways. There is no test, unless I become one. There is only graduation to the next greater version of who I am, love, in All That Is.

1 comment:

mcunningham said...

Thanks for the Rilke.

Do you know about LOST SON, the new novel based on Rilke's life and work?

Find out more at www.mallencunningham.com