Thursday, May 1, 2008

How Many Times Have You Heard "I Can't"?

by Jerome Ratliff

"I can't afford it right now..."
"I can't help you..."
"I can't figure this out..."
It seems that more and more people are limiting themselves. By them saying they can't, they are basically throwing up their arms.
They are making excuses.
You know, that's all can't is.
It's an excuse!
Rather than find a way to make something happen, they say "I can't". Saying "I can't" is so much easier, but is it really? I would disagree.
I'll explain in just a minute.

There can be many reasons for saying the "I can't" words. It can be fear of change...lack of interest...denial...feeling of not being in control. Whatever the reasons could be, saying and living the "I can't" mentality can truly affect you.
Try this exercise out the next time your customer or potential client says "I can't":
1. Probe that person and find out why they are telling you they can't. Do this for every time they say those words.
2. Anytime someone says they can't, ask them, "Well, how can you?"
3. Every time you propose a question, don't use the words 'can'. Instead replace it with 'will'.
Not only will you get your mind off limiting yourself or theirs, you will also help the client and yourself understand their real concern. Hopefully for your sake, it means getting a new client or getting a customer to agree to do something that they are capable of doing.
So, saying "I can't" is easy but, as you can see, it does affect your life and your business.

Jerome Ratliff
Jerome is an Independent Associate with USANA Health Sciences http://goodtimes.usana.com. In his business he has helped many successful home business owners grow their business using the latest techniques in internet marketing. Jerome is the editor of Business Builders http://bbuilders.blogspot.com where he illustrates the many techniques one can use to expand their home business. His motto is "Helping Frustrated Home Business Owners Build Their Business."

No comments: