Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Have You Been Thinking About Your Summer Break?

by Mariel Perry

Have you been thinking a lot about your summer break? I know it's a few months away, but it will sneak up on you like an alley cat. You know it's right around the corner.
Do you know what I did for Christmas breaks and summer breaks while I was a teen? At that time I loved loved loved to sew and I made hair accessories and sold them to people. I sold them at bazaars and flea markets and around my church. I also made gel candles. Now that was fun!

They smelled so good and I would sell boxes of them. What I'm doing is giving you some of my own personal ideas that made me lots of moolah. Something else I did was made greeting cards from my computer. I came up with the words, made the designs and painted watercolor in the background so the cards looked a little like tie-dye.
When you work hard at something and not give up that's called being diligent. The people who make it in life are people who press beyond the moments of chaos or discouragement. If my stitches were all wrong in my hats or if the gel in the candles didn't come out the exact color I wanted, it wasn't time for me to throw in the towel. I had to try it again OR I had to improvise with what I ended up with.
You know, new creations can come out of accidents and mistakes! People would say' "Oh, that's so creative" and I would think, "it was an accident that became a masterpiece." Get you a summer plan of attack. How much money do you want to make by the end of your break?
How many pictures would you have to sell, how many yards would you have to mow, or how many cookies would you have to bake to get you there? Now practice the fine art of diligence - not giving up and working hard to reach your goal.
What are YOU planning to do?

No comments: