Monday, April 7, 2008

The Art of Change - Resistance Is Futile!

by Camille Strate

Why in the world do we resist change so hard? Why is it that the moment we're faced with change we get so pessimistic? Why do we think that change will always equal disaster? It's such an odd thing to me that we do this (and believe me, I'm just as guilty sometimes!). When faced with any kind of change, whether it be a new landlord or a new job or the first wrinkle on your face, we go into a tizzy and start hyper-ventilating like we're about to be strung up on a rack. It's so....silly?
I got to thinking about this the other day when I was told that the property I rent is on the market. Apparently, the current owners have decided they'd rather take a loss than hold on to their many properties, in lieu of some other new adventure. My breathing immediately became shallow. I could feel the sweat on my hands and that icky tickle in my belly. OH NO! WHAT NOW? My first and instant response was that this could NOT be good. Why? Why did I immediately go there? Why did I automatically assume that a new land owner would make my life difficult? How could I know this? Why didn't I, instead, think to myself, "well, this could be a grand adventure. This could be just what the doctor ordered. This could be terrific!" Nope. Went in the opposite direction of those thoughts and I did it in a blink. SHEESH!
After I regained my balance, I got to thinking about the way I USED TO look at change. When I was a kid and I found out something new was about to happen, I'd get all excited. I would have a million 'super-cool' possibilities run through my little head, like I'd just found a magic lamp and the genie was about to pop out and grant wishes. I was the most optimistic little Being you'd ever meet. So what happened? How did I go from that creature to this one? How did I lose that optimistic perception of the world? When did I decide that change meant 'BAD'?
As I sat and pondered these things, it suddenly occurred to me that these thoughts of doom and gloom were a result of old tapes being played by someone else. Fact is, my whole life has been pretty charmed and no matter what kind of changes I've ever faced, I have ALWAYS ended up in a better place. Whether it meant moving to a new home or a new city or a new boyfriend (LOL!), it was always BETTER than before the change occurred. So where did this come from? Perhaps there's some residual contamination from those around me who ARE the kind of people who think change is death. Or maybe it's just some weird thing that happens after a certain age. Once we are faced with our own mortality, do we automatically see all change as a sign that death is moving closer? If this is the case, why are we so afraid of death? We all know that sooner or later we're going to leave these shells we call bodies and move on to some other realm of Being. So what's all the fuss about?

I have decided that I'm going to adopt the perspective of a 10 year old. I'm going to look at any change that's offered as a means to an adventure. I'm going to look at the possibilities as opportunities for growth and expansion. I'm going to embrace change, regardless of the form it takes. I'm going to live like all that could ever come to me is GOOD. Because the moment I bring my thoughts to this place, every single thing in my world looks like a brand new gift. It's all wrapped in pretty paper with a bow on top, and I have no idea what's inside. But you can bet I'm excited about seeing what it is! Perhaps if we all embraced change this way, we'd have fewer people on Xanax and more people living in enthusiastic anticipation. Perhaps, regardless of our 'age' or station, we could finally say YES to Life. After all, the only moment we ever have is this one. Why not make the most of it?

Camille Olivia Strate is an author, coach and travel consultant who takes great pleasure in helping folks 'remember' who they are. She spends much of her time with her beloved animals, maintaining that they are her greatest connection to Source. When she's not 'coaching' or writing, she can be found in the garden or on a trail, soaking in the marvels of Nature's offerings. Her latest book, "Whispers" is now available in eBook format. Hardcopy to follow soon! Visit her personal site at http://www.joyzachoice.com
For business information, business opportunities or just great deals on traveling, visit her travel site, http://www.joyztravel.info

No comments: