Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Change is Good

by Dianna Hobbs

At one time or another, while you were going through transition, you've probably heard someone say, "Change is good." Well, why does a good thing feel so bad sometimes? There are a number of reasons why. Change is only good, if you know how to adjust your mindset and your behaviors, in order to accommodate it.
I'll begin by acknowledging that, though good, change is hard. It's not easy to adjust to a new set of circumstances. But, it's also not impossible. It makes me think about a recent decision I made. Wanna hear it? Well, I've been growing my hair for a little over two years now. It finally grew past my shoulders and midway down my back. However, I decided to cut it yesterday.
Somehow, after all of my long hair fell to the floor, suddenly, I didn't feel so enthusiastic about the whole thing. Oddly, all of the excitement and anticipation surrounding that grand moment, faded away. And I was left, looking in the mirror, wondering what in the world I had just done.
What's my point? I'll tell you. We all like the idea of change, but we don't typically enjoy the actual process. Here's the problem. All too often, we idealize the "outcome," but we never prepare ourselves to deal with the reality of the situation that precedes the outcome.

You see, we glamorize the wonderful " improvements" we will experience in our lives when we get: a new job, a new house, or a new business opportunity. But , we don't factor in the period of adjustment that accompanies accepting a new job... or the increased responsibility that comes along with a new house... or the large volume of work required to take advantage of a new business opportunity... or in my case, the amount of maintenance required to keep a nice haircut.
That is... if I don't want to walk around looking like Woody-Wood Pecker all day. You get my drift, right?
Here's what I want to get you to see. In order to fully enjoy the benefits of change, you must adjust your mindset, your attitudes, as well as, your patterns of behavior. There is nothing wrong with change. Besides being inevitable, it really is good for you. However, change will take a major toll on you, and negatively impact your life, if you don't know how to deal with it.
So, here's what I want you to do. Re-evaluate your notions about change. Be realistic. Know that it will have its challenges, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth it. By all means, keep that wonderful vision in the forefront of your mind. It will fuel you when times get rough.
Be sober about the situation and realize, it will take some getting used to. If you complain and dwell on how hard it is, you'll never adjust to your new circumstances. But, if you throw yourself into the process, believing that God has given you the wherewithal to thrive, you'll be just fine. I promise.
Until next time... may you be empowered to prosper!

No comments: